COUPONS.COM

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How to cut the cost of printing coupons


There have been some great printable coupons out lately. It seems like whenever I am getting ready for my shopping trip, I am bringing more and more printable coupons with me. Unfortunately, using printable coupons means that you are using a lot of ink and ink isn’t cheap! So, how can you cut the cost of printing coupons?


*Don’t print the coupons until you need them for a sale. The exception, of course, is when a high value coupon shows up. You will need to print these immediately so that you don’t miss out on it. Many coupons have “rolling” expiration dates, meaning they expire a month from when you print, so you want to make sure you don’t print too early and have an expired coupon when the sale comes around!

*Cancel print. Many coupons include advertisements on the bottom of the page and this wastes a lot of ink. As my coupon prints, I watch to make sure that the entire coupon has printed and then I hit “cancel” print.

*Use every last bit of paper!! Figure out how your printer pulls the paper through and use both sides and ends of the paper (obviously being aware that it doesn’t overlap). When I am printing a smartsource coupon, I print the first one and then flip the paper over and put it back through to print the second one. I’ve even gone as far as putting a 1/3 sheet into the printer to print a coupon. I also use the leftover paper as scrap to write my shopping lists on.

*Use Printfriendly.com. When you want to print something from a website, open a new page and go to printfriendly.com. (I have a button at the end of each post that eliminates this step.) Then copy and paste the URL of the page you want to print at printfriendly.com. You are then able to remove images, ads, and any text you don’t need to print.

*Set your printer to black and white. You shouldn’t have any more problems using a black and white coupon than a color coupon, right? I have yet to switch my printer to black and white – which I absolutely need to do - so I don’t have any experience but from what others have told me, it hasn’t been a problem for them.

And if any of you know anywhere to get inexpensive ink, or know a site that discounts it, Please share!!!!

2 comments:

  1. great post I have noticed my printer is going through more ink now that I print a lot of coupons.... I do use every inch of paper and I even shake my printer when ink is low this helps uses every last bit of ink. But sometimes I wonder when I print coupons to save a buck or two I am spending $30 on ink cartridges.... is it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought I would mention that I was printing in B&W and went back to color because I was having issues. The stores told me because the dot in the upper right corner wasn't green then it had to be a photo copy. I tried explaining the other markers proving it wasn't a copy but they didn't want to listen. They did end up taking the cpns that visit but told me in the future they wouldn't be.

    Amber- how many of those coupons can you print with one cartridge? I have saved well over 200$ with the ink I have in mine and it is nearly empty after 3 weeks but I would say the $30 was worth the $200 in savings.

    ReplyDelete